Winter has already knocked at our doors and we have already started dusting off our jackets that lay stacked in the attic all through the summer. With the chilly winds beginning to roam our streets, we are all afraid of what winter will bring.
Before you get your tissues out check out this handy list of the top 15 things you can do to help boost your immune system this winter. Arm yourself with these and you won’t feel like the ice victim anymore, but the snow queen! (or King) And don’t worry, they’re all natural!
- Eat to strengthen yourself – Focus on eating a healthy balanced diet, adding all components of foods in your meals- fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds and sprouts. Eat clean and organic products as much as you can (regional and seasonal). The nutrition in these foods will more than take care of your immunity!
- Add herbs and spices to your food – Herbs and spices have been known to have antibacterial and antiseptic healing properties, plus they make any dish taste great! Just a dash of this and a sprinkle of that and you’ve got yourself an immunity meal!
- Natural antibiotic garlic – This bulb has earned a special place in this list for its anti-microbial properties. Eating raw garlic is one of the most potent (and pungent!) ways to improve your immunity!
- Drink enough water – Water is the best way to cleanse our body of all the toxins and to ensure that our system stays healthy and hydrated as well as help strengthen your immune system!
- Workout – This doesn’t have to be at the gym or a fitness studio, it could be a simple half hour walk every day. Exercising every day is vital for good health. It reduces the risk of heart disease, cancer, high blood pressure, diabetes and other diseases. It can improve your appearance and delay the aging process.
- Make sure you get enough sleep – The immune system is strengthened and fine-tuned during sleep, and sleep deprivation can lead to weakening it. Ensure that you get a good 8 hours of sleep every night to keep your immune system in good shape.,
- Try not to stress too much – It is now a well-known fact that stress increases our susceptibility to illness and those with higher stress levels are falling ill more often. The best way to protect yourself is to relax! Find some time to recharge, meditate, read or do yoga. Essentially, take a chill pill!
- Cut back on the sugar – Sugar is potentially damaging to your immune system because of its tendency to cause inflammations in the body, a thriving ground for microbes of the flu. Switch to natural sources such as fresh/dried fruits and your gut will thank you.
- Have a massage – What could be a better way to improve your immunity system than having a relaxing massage? Massages stimulate the lymphatic system, the defence force of our body. Besides, they feel great don’t they?
- Dress smartly! Make sure you are well-protected in the cold winter weather, especially paying attention to your hands and the face, which often tend to be forgotten. Wear snug gloves and a warm scarf good and of course make sure you wear an appropriate jacket and winter boots. Stay warm, stay healthy!
- Wash your hands often – Of course you need to do this regardless of what season it is, but come winter with cold and the flu going around you’d be better off taking this simple precaution than having to worry about catching germs and getting ill.
- Reach out – Studies show that feelings of isolation and loneliness correlate with lowered immunity. So make an effort to connect with your family and friends and allow their warmth to make your winter more pleasant.
- Stay away from the toxins – We unknowingly surround ourselves with toxins through our cleaning products, some of which may be dangerous to our immune system. Use green cleaning products to keep your house and your body clean!
- Switch your moisturising lotion to coconut oil – Coconut oil is a natural healing and protecting substance and acts as a barrier for the skin from microbes. It will also leave your skin feeling incredibly soft and supple!
- Stay sober – Alcohol is known to suppress the immune system and you definitely don’t need this with flu and colds going around. Drink fresh fruit juice instead!
If you want to boost your immune system, we strongly recommend that you join our get fit and healthy program.